Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day


Hizzle Mizzles Dizzle! That's urban for, well, you know.

It's Mother's Day. The day our culture has set aside to honor the mothers in our lives. It seems almost silly to single out just one day for moms, but actually, I think it's a good idea.

Why?

In order to write this I had to stop what I would otherwise be doing, which in my case was going to bed, and think about my relationship with my mom. My mom is a funny lady; not odd, but witty. She is emotional and empathetic. Independent, but family-oriented. Ever since I told her I was looking for a job she has e-mailed me tips for writers and freelancers that she's found online. Her greatest quality may be that she always lives her life in the moment-- this makes her pretty fun to be around. When she's in town, I never know what we are going to do. She is prone to long drives and comfort foods.

As I thought about her, I began to think about my wife's relationship with our kids, my step-mom, my mother-in-law and a few of the other mothers I know. Turns out, I know a lot of moms.

Then I thought about my dad's mom. Her name was Janie. And my mom's mom. Her name was Ginny. They're both gone now.

I saw Grandma Ginny before she died. She was an amazing artist. I can imagine her humming while playing cards or rocking in a rocking chair. The last time I saw my Grandma Janie she was down from Kansas City for my high school graduation. When I would visit her she would always make me french toast, which was my favorite.

Today, a lot of us will rush to the store to buy a last-minute gift. We'll fight with traffic and pick over the pre-packaged candies and flowers at the discount store before we tap our feet impatiently while we wait in line.

Don't. Instead take a moment to think about why that stuff has any meaning.

My mom's name is Katy Baker. Today, I want to thank her for e-mails. I appreciate the tips, mom. I hope all is well in Iowa.

No comments:

Post a Comment