Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Surfing Pro

Have you ever gotten online only to realize you really don't know what you are looking for? I know I have. I'll be drawn to the monitor as if by some magnetic pull only to realize there are only about four or five sites I ever regularly visit.

And it's frustrating, right? The Internet offers us endless possibilities it seems, a menu so large that we often dare to only eat what we have already tasted. Instead of surfing the Web, we end up just sticking our toes in the water.

Well, for me, that's changing.

Recently, I've discovered Stumbleupon. And at the risk of sounding like a pitch man, this site is a miracle cleanser. And so much more!

The idea is simple. You fill out a profile by selecting topics you think are interesting. You get your Login and password, and then you can start stumbling. Press the stumble button, and you'll go from one random Web site to another. Each of them fall within the general topics you've picked.

When you find a site you like, simply click the "I like it!" button and stumble will store it in your profile. I've just started, so there's only five sites I've picked so far. Generally, I like funny stuff the most. Like the poetry generator. Or the "how to tick people off" site.

In the weeks ahead, as I find things that I think are really fun, or informative, I'll call attention to them here.

Now when I get online I still won't know what I'm looking for, but I will at least know how to find it.

1 comment:

  1. This has to be the electronic equivalent to prowling through the old "card catalogs" in the library. You never knew what you were going to run into.
    Bob

    ReplyDelete