Sunday, December 19, 2010

Ask and/or tell

Ding dong the witch is dead. 


I don't know if I feel the way I do because I love to root for the underdog, or if it's because I have known family members who are gay, or if it's because I have worked with homosexuals I respected and considered to be my friends or if it's because I have a distaste for injustice in general, but the news that Don't Ask Don't Tell is soon to be repealed made me feel proud. 


I'm proud of our country, and I'm proud of our legislators for doing the right thing by standing up for the rights of homosexual citizens. 


I can't say it any better than Sen. Ron Wyden, an Oregonian democrat, said it on the floor of the Senate before the 65-31 vote on Saturday (according to the NY Times): “I don’t care who you love. If you love this country enough to risk your life for it, you shouldn’t have to hide who you are.”


Well done, gang. 

No comments:

Post a Comment