Thursday, June 4, 2009

Welcome, The Water is Fine

I'm full of faults.

I have my own issues. I sometimes get angry too easily. I'm sometimes flighty, and I think I daydream too much. I haven't checked my credit score in awhile, but I'm pretty sure it stinks-- I've never been good with money. And I've probably just scratched the surface. So, I'm going to do my best to not sound self-righteous here.

But... I'm glad to see Becky Spence and the eminent domain issue finally getting some attention from the other local media outlets.

It's an important story. And its been a story for awhile now.

I understand that most people are busy with their own lives. They seldom have the energy or time to pay much attention to local government.

Reporters and media-types are busy too. Always running from one story to the next, hoping to get enough sources and hit deadlines.

But when the government or (in the unique case of Springfield) a city-owned company such as City Utilities begins taking away our rights or our property, we should all pay attention.

If its true that the media is the fourth estate and should be a watchdog of public officials, then where have you all been?

I've been hoping for weeks to see more play on this story, and I just haven't found it.

As someone who is trying to be objective and fair, I've been happy to talk to CU spokesperson Joel Alexander: (paraphrasing) 'we are still pursuing negotiations;' 'bus ridership is up since 1995.' But, as someone who attended Spence's hotel-plan meeting said, "when was the last time you saw a bus that was more than a quarter full?"

And really, who cares if her hotel is viable (though that adds an interesting element to the story)-- It's her land!

Serious questions still need to be asked of CU. How much would implementing a grid-system cost? How full are buses during peak hours? Why didn't someone review the findings of the feasibility study and see that the "fatal flaw" (page 54)in sites 2A, 2B, and 3 (city-owned) was that they would take away downtown parking when two new parking garages where being put up in the middle of downtown? I missed the last one myself-- but, I asked on Tuesday. Joel said he'd get back to me. He didn't. But now it doesn't matter. CU announced Wednesday it is looking into city-owned properties again.

When issues like these pop up, we all need to pitch and be a set of eyes.

City Council members did the right thing by questioning CU's plans to use eminent domain. They were right to get involved. They know the city has other properties to build an unnecessary bus station on.

I hope others stay on this story now that they've picked it up. Please don't just leave it to me. I've got my own issues.

5 comments:

  1. I should mention that I tinkered with this a little after first posting it. I finally figured out how to edit my posts. Turns out it was really easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too many times some of the media in this city have been selective in sharing both sides of a story, in my opinion. I would cite my coverage of the Lawrence Halprin designed Park Central Square for CFP as another example of one-sided reporting on the part of all the rest of the other local media.

    However, that said, you and I were both at the meeting Spence held yesterday, Brian. We both heard her mention she was less than exited about getting with local media. She never answered my call months ago, back when the issue concerned her bid for the project JQH eventually was awarded. I'm not blaming her for being reluctant to speak to the press after some of the past press she has received but, I'm just saying it might not be entirely fair, in this instance, to blame the other press in town entirely, as I think where Spence was willing to speak with you, she might not have been quite so forthcoming with some of the other press in town.

    I like to think we should hold each other's feet to the fire, press and bloggers, when necessary but, really we should all be after the same thing, the sharing of information with the public that they would have a want to know or a need to know.

    I enjoyed your last report on the issue from the new edition of CFP. Keep up the good work!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Jackie. And I hope I haven't come off as overly critical. I'll admit I had an advantage with Spence over most other media (the exception being Jericho-- he and Spence seem to be buddies). She liked CFP and thought we seemed like an outlet she could trust. I'm not sure how much I had to do with that.

    I've wondered myself about her mistrust of the media. Is she being reasonable? Was she taken out of context with some other organizations back in 2007? She says she was. Was she misquoted? I don't know.

    I definitely think it would have been smart from her point of view to talk to the media more. To put pressure on CU she needed exposure. But, it's not my place to tell her that.

    All I know is that my articles were not one-sided in her favor. They were telling both sides. And she has told me how much she appreciated that. All she ever wanted was for me to be fair.

    In the end, eminent domain is the real issue. And the critical eye needed to be on the ones with the power. And that's the point I was hoping to make.

    Thanks for your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, I don't think you were overly critical, I just thought that it should be noted that Spence was kinda picky about who she spoke to on the issue, for right or wrong reasons.

    I hope I didn't come across as being critical of you, that wasn't my intention either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "In the end, eminent domain is the real issue."

    That's exactly it...the fact it's Becky Spence is irrelevant. The fact the land is part of bankruptcy is irrelevant. The issue is potential abuse of the eminent domain process by a governmental entity. That action shouldn't be predicated on who owns the land in question.

    ReplyDelete