Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Post Town Hall Thoughts

KY3 reporter David Cantanese asked a question of Sen. Claire McCaskill after the town hall meeting yesterday: (paraphrasing) nobody who comes to these things ever seems to change their minds, so why do it-- what do you hope to get out of it?

She went on to say "we may not have convinced anyone... but it's still a really important part of this democracy."

In the post interviews behind the curtain at the Gillioz, she also said, "I learned its really important to make yourself available and accessible [to constituents]."

One of my friends on Facebook, a college-age counselor at a local church, said on his status "[He] would still disagree with Senator McCaskill on some of the substantive issues related to healthcare reform, but would now consider himself something of a fan; she was gracious, poised, thoughtful, and handled a difficult situation admirably. Kudos."

As someone down in the orchestra pit, I never got the sense that things were getting out of hand, but I did feel there was a real sense of anger in the air from those opposed to reform.

I can't help but wonder if McCaskill heard the angry voices as much as those who, like my friend, were listening heard her. The best arguments were all there for those who were looking.

Cantanese might have been wrong. I do think people on both sides were changed, even if only in subtle ways.

3 comments:

  1. I respect the fact that McCaskill was willing to face her constituents and answer their questions. Some people may have liked her answers, some may not have liked them but, at least she appeared before them and gave some of them an opportunity to address her. That takes guts. I think you have to respect her for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and I agree with you on the change thing, reasonable people can always see the validity in reasonable arguments and there can be subtle changes in thinking. Probably not enough to change firm stances in support or opposition on an issue as complicated as this one but, still, we can always learn from each other.

    Can't we? :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Jackie. There probably weren't any of those on the far left or far right who changed that much, but I still think just being exposed to other opinions face-to-face is a good thing.

    I think people on both sides of this issue deserve respect and consideration, and I was glad to see McCaskill giving conservatives in the area some face time.

    ReplyDelete