Friday, April 9, 2010

Leaving on a Jet Plane or Free Fallin'

If you are one of my Facebook friends, you may already know that I've decided to leave the Community Free Press. Including my internship, I've been there 2 1/2 years.

I have nothing negative to say about my experience.

I'm very proud of much of the work I've done in that time, and I will continue to be grateful to the Langsfords for giving me a chance to write for money. I've also developed some friendships there that couldn't have happened anywhere else, so I will take what I can from this -- but, it is time to move on.

I've told everyone, including myself, that I am going to become a freelance writer. However, I'm not sure how realistic I'm being. The journalism market is scary. One of my fellow staffers, Fines Massey, who himself is leaving to take a Census job, was told one paper he recently applied for in St. James had 87 applicants for its one open position.

I've picked up around 30 hours at my old haunt LaMar's Donuts, and I'm just hoping that some opportunities pop up. This may be the riskiest thing I've ever done. All I can really say is that the political season is starting, and it just felt like the right time to leave.

The April 21 issue will be my last issue. I am grateful for all of the people in our community that took the time to answer questions from me over the last couple of years. I sincerely hope that I treated you fairly.

Well, before this sounds entirely cheesy and sappy, I'll sign off. I'm stepping out the door and heading into my last day. After today, I'm just a donut man. Dear lord, somebody hire me!

2 comments:

  1. I like to think the real reason you left was because you were no longer able to sneak song lyrics into stories without my expert guidance and cheering you on. It's fun to pretend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still sneaked them in.

    I wanted to leave because I had no one to read my handwriting.

    I still haven't left, though. I just keep working on stories.

    ReplyDelete