Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Springfield's Best


At some point here, someone has to step up and hire the best reporter in Springfield. I'm sick of being the best donut finisher.

Doubting the reporter claim? Allow me to make my case.

Exhibit A: Hammons hotel project. I've done several stories on the Embassy Suites hotel slated for the 1.7 acre piece of land next to the Expo Center. The first of which was part of a larger failed projects story which appeared in CFP's June 17-30, 2009 issue. Hammons wouldn't talk with me, but Mary Lilly Smith did. And when I did the follow up in December, Hammons did speak. Nobody did a story until after his second missed deadline and then there wasn't any background provided. Hammons holds all the cards on this thing; He manages the Expo, and Smith said herself that was a big advantage when he was competing with other developers for the bid. The question nobody is asking: What incentive does Hammons have to compete with University Plaza? At least one developer said Hammons will never build a hotel on the site. Where's the local media on this?

Exhibit B: Becky Spence. The former owner of the Arbor Hotel may be an unsympathetic figure to many that remember her run-down downtown temp apartments, but Spence does have rights. When City Utilities wanted to take her property to build a new, and many feel unnecessary, bus terminal on her St. Louis St. lot, it seemed no one wanted to cover the story. I did. Read the first installment here. And then again when she proposed her new hotel, here. Her public announcement of plans led to concerns from City Council and CU dropping the eminent domain push. To my knowledge, I am the only one to also do a follow-up on her project, here.

For those still reading, I've also done a sweet NIMBY, a sweet voter's guide, and the best teaser ever: "Rowe, Rowe, Rowe, then Moats."

So, where's the trophy? I've got my speech ready. I'm planning on taking a page from Terrill Owens, "I'd like to thank my hands for being so awesome."

Why all the machismo? I need a jobby job. Get it together people. I'm laying it down over here.

No comments:

Post a Comment