Monday, May 11, 2009

The New Facebook Culture

When is the last time you harvested your crops? Or wrote on a friend’s wall? Or found out which Sesame Street character you are?

If you know what I’m talking about, odds are you have become one of the more than 200 million people (worldwide) to join the social-networking site Facebook.

Everyday in America people are waking up and discovering they can search for, and often find, just about anyone who wants to find someone else. If you are someone who might be interested in seeing the publicly posted pics of old classmates, play unique interactive games, or promote your business, then you are a potential Facebook customer.

And, not surprisingly, it’s appeal means big business. Though the founder is known for his young age, and the 24-year-old Mark Zuckerberg is said to be the youngest billionaire ever, Facebook is not just for kids.

According to O’Reilly Media, between May and December U.S. growth was strongest among the typical American worker (ages 26 to 59) at 46 percent.

Many may not know FB has become the most popular site in Canada. It has also grown rapidly in large part to an interesting list of big-name investors.

I joined the site about nine months ago. I heard a candidate for office had posted his religious views on his profile—views that might be considered controversial by many locals. I was curious. I soon found out that I had to be his “friend” to view his profile. Because I am/was a reporter, I wasn’t about to ask a political candidate to be my “friend.”

Soon thereafter, one of the key reasons for the popularity of the site became clear to me: people can find who they want to find, and still control what others can find out about them.

Millions of people also visit other social-networking sites, but I think Facebook has some features that separate it from the field and make it uniquely equipped to change America as we know it.

I've had pages on both (FB and Myspace), but for some reason I just don't care about my Myspace anymore. I've found, the more I’ve gotten on FB, the more I’ve found other reasons to keep visiting.

My friend Mark, who lives in Springfield, can talk to my friend Tony who lives in North Carolina, and I can comment on what they said to each other. Why? Each member has a wall, which is a virtual-public billboard. I can see messages posted on any of my friends' walls.

If I want to send a private message to a friend, I can do so through my inbox, just like any e-mail. However, if I, or Mark in my above-mentioned scenario, wish to put a post on a friend’s wall, then any of my friends or the characters involved can read and comment on the give and take.

In recent months, I’ve seen my wife become a virtual tycoon on Yoville (an animated virtual-world where you can work, decorate your home or race friends), and a bonefide agricultural phenom on Farm Town. I’ve seen pictures of new babies from high-school friends, posted a few of my own, and seen about a million request for my IQ (I think somebody is making big bucks on that deal).

Many locals on the site have seen the Vanished Pieces of Springfield. I know I’ve sent a Sammy B. Good to most of my friends. And that’s part of the hook. No matter where you are from, you can become a fan of, or at least a passive member of like-minded nostaligitians (yes, made-up word).

I asked five of my “friends” to tell me why they joined, and what they liked about the site.

Most people it seems, joined to connect with people from their past. But everyone has their own reasons.

My Sister-in-Law

“I really like Facebook, because not only have I got in touch with a lot of people from my past that I otherwise would never have talked to again, (but) it is a great way to communicate with the large number of family members who have also joined.”

Shannon said she visits everyday, and enjoys playing Mafia Wars, Farm Town and Yoville.

My wife’s friend from work

Courtney said it’s fun to personalize her profile, and let people know what she’s up to. She said she can get annoyed with many of the applications, though.

“I constantly get invited to join all sorts of games, but I just ignore 99% of them.”

And Courtney said something that I thought was very interesting.

“I'm already convinced there's no point in going to my ten-year high school reunion in a few years.”

I wonder how many others will see the need for reunions in the future.

Two friends from high school

Brian, a local college pastor, said he uses the site to connect with students.

“I like FB for what it makes capable, i.e. connecting with students easily and frequently. Beyond that, I enjoy reconnecting with old friends/acquaintances, though this reconnection is typically a brief burst of back-and-forth communications.”

Julie, a suburban-Atlanta mom, said she likes connecting with old friends, but wondered if she has too many now who can see her posts.

“I like Facebook and for sure talk to people I wouldn't otherwise talk to. Glad to hear from some people. I feel like I have too many "friends" though. Sometimes I have to keep my status updates cleaner than I normally would.”

Mom

Yeah, my mother is on there, too.

“I play the most stupid games..some I ignore but I like the quizzes. It is a good way to find out what is going on with family and friends.”

As for me, a quick glance at my profile reveals that I’m a Cookie Monster. I have to admit though, I was tempted to gear my answers towards Oscar the Grouch. Grover would have been fine too.

No comments:

Post a Comment