Wednesday, May 6, 2009

New Issue(s)

I encourage anyone who might read this blog to check out the latest issue of the Community Free Press. You can download it online by clicking on the cover of the issue, which is featured prominently on the home page, or by picking it up at one of our many distributors. You can find a list of pick-up locations here.

The paper is free, and at the risk of sounding biased (and I am), it's good. So, pick it up.

I really believe it honestly matters to everyone on staff to be objective, fair and accurate. We have made, and we will make mistakes, but we are not running fast and loose. We try to get it right every time, even if we miss the mark occasionally.

I know my publisher, Breck Langsford, has a few concerns about my new blog. Hopefully, he will read it. I think if he does, he'll see that my approach to this thing doesn't (and shouldn't) run counter to anything he is trying to accomplish with the paper.

A couple months ago, I invited now-Councilman Robert Stephens to write a guest column after he expressed some concerns with CFP's editorial policies. Both Tom Martz and Fred Ellison, who were running for council seats at the time, had been in our paper in the viewpoints section in issues previous.

Life of Jason followed Stephens column with an article of his own, which I enjoyed by the way.

The fact of the matter is, CFP tries to be an open door to those who have opinions, whether they're running for office or not. Stephen's opinions are as important as Martz' or Ellison's or Joe the baker's. And Jason Wert had it right, too. We all have biases. That doesn't mean we are going to be slanted in our news or political coverage.

In my opening post, I tried to lay out my own political biases for the world to see. I know Mr. Langsford has concerns about the perception of his main political reporter being biased. However, I truly believe that being honest about who I am is the first step in establishing a trust with our readers.

We at CFP are regular folks. We have honest goals and warts, too. And that's the kind of paper I want to write for. And I hope it is the kind of paper you want to read.

2 comments:

  1. I think the fact you're open and honest about your biases makes you a more reliable reporter than those who hide it. I hope your publisher realizes readers want honesty and transparency from their journalists as much as their political leaders.

    ReplyDelete