Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The New Issue

Please check out the latest issue of the Community Free Press. It's hitting stands now, and is up on the Web site. To download it, just click on the newspaper icon (on the right).

There's a lot of good stuff in this issue, so check it out.

As for me, I've got Becky Spence on the brain.

I'm curious to see if other local media (other than Jericho) will do more with this story. I know that she has been avoiding the press, but I don't think she can hold out much longer if her plans for a new hotel are to progress.

She said she was willing to talk to me because she believes she can trust CFP. I hope she still feels the same after reading my article.

I know it was nice to meet her, and hear her side of things. But, I also believe I know how she wanted me to frame the story-- and I didn't exactly behave.

When I sat down with her on May 11, we talked for about two hours. About an hour of that conversation was recorded. She spoke at length after I originally thought the interview was over. Of course, I just kept taking notes.

There's a long history there, and I did talk about her side of things in the article. I think she would have preferred that I not discuss the history at all right now. She seemed set on having her plans taken seriously. But, the majority of the interview she talked about her history with the city-- why she felt her Arbor Hotel was ordered torn down; The problems she faced with her proposal at the former proposed arena site, and so on.

I felt to be fair to my readers I had to tell the real story. Which includes some history from her point of view.

Of course, the news at the moment is the hotel plans. So, I hope the story maintained its focus, but still was able to get at least some of her side out there. In the end, my obligation is to the reader-- not the interviewee.

I've read the story a couple of times now that it's in print, and it still seems fair to me.

Like I said, I enjoyed meeting her. She has a story to tell, and she really does seem determined to get this thing built.

Now, I'm interested to see if CU keeps pursuing this property. At what point does the city decide its not worth the hassle anymore? I'm sure no one wants to appear as if they are discouraging economic development in the middle of a recession.

And it's fair to wonder if is she capable of pulling this thing off even if the city cooperates. It's a large project. Lord knows developers have promised the city things before.

Regardless, I'm anxious to see what happens. Spence has put the ball back in the city's court. Now, what will they do with it?

Who knew local politics were, dare I say, interesting?

1 comment: