Friday, May 15, 2009

What is romantic?

This is something I wrote about my wife for one of my poetry classes at Missouri State. I can't remember now, but it seems like the assignment was to try and write a romantic poem. It could be that I just wanted to write something about my wife.

I don't really like all the traditional notions of what it means to be romantic: flowers, candy, actually listening to what the other person is saying-- things like that. I've already said too much.

Anyway, I had forgotten I wrote this. And it is one I like.

Listening

I look through silk petals pushed upwards somehow.
They’re cut above the root as is custom.
I buy a typed note on 60-pound cardstock, glossy.
Finding a match means I love you.
I sort through crocodiles and loopy serif types.

Can I take you to a dinner I won’t prepare,
pull back your chair, order in your place?
I’d rather not hear you tonight.
I want to sit on our bed as
I watch your mouth move.
I want to know that you’re talking as
I let the world buzz in over my ears.
I want to watch you as I can’t hear a word.

No comments:

Post a Comment