Monday, May 25, 2009

This is A 'Merica

As someone who has never served my country, I know I feel extremely grateful for the men and women who have.

I am able to write this blog, vote for whomever I chose, start my own business, pick my nose and generally blaze my own trail because others have defended the cause of freedom.

Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness...that's what its all about.

Recently, I was glad to see that our state legislators passed a helmet-law, which our governor is expected to sign. The bill would allow motorcycle riders over the age of 21 to chose to ride helmet-free.

People already make that choice, of course. I should say, if the governor signs the bill, the state agrees not to punish those bikers who will choose to ride without helmets. Those over 21, anyway. Oh, and those not on the interstates. Oh, and only for five years.

While I think this is a good move, I think its only a small step in what I hope is a larger movement to reclaim our civil liberties.

Let's take a closer look at the above-mentioned bill. First off, let's call it what it is-- a temporary repeal of law. In five years old helmet regulations go back into effect unless another measure is passed.

Second-off(?), what exactly is the teeth in this thing anyway? Read the bill for yourself, the repeal exempts riders from what exactly?

Any person twenty-one years of age or older operating or riding as a passenger on any motorcycle or motortricycle without protective headgear upon an interstate highway shall be guilty of an infraction for which a fine not to exceed twenty-five dollars may be imposed.

To be fair, I have to say, if convicted, a person would be guilty of a Class A misdemeanor. For a third violation, a person would be guilty of a Class D felony.

Now, there are a couple ways to look at this. If you get caught riding without a helmet, you get a slap on the wrist. 'Shame on you. Wear your helmet,' the state says. The law the governor is hopefully going to sign eliminates the slap. For five years.

Another way to view this is as the most ridiculous, unnecessary insult to our civil liberties-- ever.

What could be a more effective incentive for wearing a helmet than, oh I don't know, not having your brains splattered on the road?!?

This Memorial Day, I hope people take a moment to think about what freedom really means. To me, it means taking personal responsibility for your own actions. It means freedom of expression, it means religious freedom, and much more.

If there was a law passed against pink hair, I think people would be outraged. Can you imagine what people would say? The arguments they'd construct against the unnecessary governmental intrusion into their lives. Now use those same arguments against helmet laws, seat-belt laws or laws against recreational drug use.

Real freedom comes with risks. It should be our job as citizens to tell friends and neighbors to not be dumb-asses-- 'wear your helmet, for the love of god; don't put that into your body, what are you thinking?;' and so on.

If we hand those jobs over to legislators, they'll just tell you a $25 fine will do.

And then we all lose something more valuable than any one life. And too many veterans' families know what I'm talking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment